Sunday, August 02, 2009

Books to read

Now. I am done with my PhD (thank you, you can sit down now), i have a little bit more time to follow-up on my other interests. I am moderately avid reader and, often when i drop my wife at the mall for shopping, i sneak into Borders to scan some new books. While driving home this afternoon, i tuned my radio to NPR (i think it was NPR), i came across a segment called Dialogue. By chance, they had the Pulitzer prize winner Frank McCourt on. Frankly, i did not know him so i would like to admit that right away (unlike that hypocritic dog point5). It was a really good segment and i am intrigued now. His book Angela's ashes is up next on my to-read list. He also recommends two other books: No great mischief and By the lake. These two books are probably fiction but it has been a while since i have read good fiction. I have been sick for a while reading sidney sheldon, john grisham and all those desi writers.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Point 5 said...

Reading Simplexity currently..it is not all that great..I mean its good...but nowhere near Freakonomics or Outliers...
I am curios to read Tipping Point and Blink by Malcolm Gladwell now

Also NPR is a good radio station to listen in red neck Boise..it will keep you little balanced

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like desi writers

3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Desi writers rock..Do not look down upon them..I can give you a few names if you want to check out....

9:52 PM  
Blogger totti said...

Oops..my apologies..i do not know what i was thinking..i do not hate desi writers...on the contrary, i enjoy several of their writings.

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonder who those are? For starters, who is that one desi writer that you like to read the most?

11:48 PM  
Blogger totti said...

I like to read Jhumpa lahiri, RK, Arundati Roy.. i have to say i have not read anything recently. Still reading Guns, germs and steel ..by Jared Diamond

10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent choice my friend. If you ever get time try reading "The Great Indian Novel" by Shashi Tharoor. (He's re-written Mahabharatha)

6:01 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Shashi Tharoor..is it? let me check that out..

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Hit Counter