Saturday, March 03, 2007

New York Slice

We had come visiting the fiance's brother for a day at his place in NY. It was about 9 in the night when we took the sub to his place. We met a middle-aged couple with a cute kid in his buggy. They probably noticed the tension in my face and started their comforting small talk. A bangladeshi couple. It was remarkable how similar we look but for the small nuanced differences, still. At our stop, we bid adieu and walked out.

Early next morning offered a crisp, cool breeze as we made towards port authority. As we hopped onto the 46 bus, i plugged in the metro card to cover charges. The machine spat the card back at me. I had a few dollar bills but the bus driver informed me it wouldn't work. Seinfeld rates public speaking as the most dreaded thing to do. I had to resort to beg for some metro card on a New York bus. I passed several stony glances and head swivels before one of them handed me his metro card. I thanked profusely and paid him in the now-useful bills.

Half an hour later, we were nearing our destination. They say life comes full circle, when it does it makes you look like an idiot sometimes. Sometimes, it gets you glow with two beaming buttons of eyes and an easy elastic smile. We were at the sub station, bright and busy, refilling the empty metro card. On my left, i saw a huge NY lady trying to purchase a ticket. For some reason, the machine was being reluctant and she was bordering panic. She slammed her huge palms right and left, as if the machine was a stubborn child hanging on to dear ticket. I whisked out a couple of dollar bills and handed them to her.

"Oh thank you. Believe me, i am a good person". To this day, i don't know why she said that. I am not acting all smug for helping her out, but i did feel happy.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

New York is like a grumpy lady..hard on the outer but full of life and still mellow at heart. It is amusing to be around her for a while but the hurt and pain may be a little overthe board for me. But, we can adapt to everything. Heck, Tsunami was a daily occurence, we all might even grow skiboards on our feet.

2:24 PM  
Blogger deepthi vinod said...

ha ha i hard so much about the big city...and u made my nerves calm down...hope tp be there on a holiday someday

1:17 AM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

New York sucks after a month...

7:32 AM  
Blogger totti said...

@tanikella - make sure you start out of certain regions, they are really dangerous. The downtown is a must see and lots of things to do in and around.

@pointy - that's because you have been there for a month.LA stinks the mightiest :p

4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Hit Counter