Thursday, August 04, 2005

Tunes from childhood

Standing outside the ESM building, i was chatting with Balaji ji . His phone started ringing. It was some familiar tune but i could'nt really place it. I did'nt give it much thought. He said,"You know this tune?". It was the theme of Hercule poirot serial which used to come long time back. A faint glimmer of recognition passed through my mind. Balaji has loads of such long forgotten things. Street hawk theme music. And, slowly we drifted into one discussion after another about the long forgotten serials. Long forgotten for me. Balaji remembered them vividly. Street Hawk. I used to love it. Cool bike with loads of weapons. The car-bike chase sequence. The countdown before he touches the 300 mph limit. Neat. Then came Giant Robot. i did'nt know/remember it being a jap comic; i used to go for tuition at around that time. My bro and I used to go late just because we could'nt afford to miss it. Surprisingly, i remember the ending still. Giant Robot going and hitting the asteroid with the bad guy.

Then, we talked about the great indian mythologies. Mahabharata was the best. Ramayana was good. I used to love the battle scenes. Now, some of them look funny.When i went to India, last december, i had a chance to catch up on some ramayana. The way the send their arrows up in the air and wait there standing tapping their left foot, the surprised look when one of your arrows disappears and the back ground music (Balaji did a hilarious imitation of this). Then, there was this ridiculous serial called Shri Krishna. The krishna in B.R.Chopra's was so good, it made other krishna's look like idiots. You remember the other serial Sri Krishna? remember how pathetic that krishna looked. And, then there was chandrakanta, mid way they realised that the serial had nothing to do with chandrakantha or her story. And a bunch of others.

6 Comments:

Blogger totti said...

thanks to balaji for all the fundaes

7:03 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Totally know where you are coming from on this. As much as I loved/ hated all the serials I still remember them with nostalgia: Street Hawk, Johnny soko and his flying robot, Ramayana, Mahabharat. I don't recall any other Krishna but the one they had in Mahabharat, some Bhadrdwaj can't remember his first name though. And then the mega serials Humlog and Buniyaad. And the detective serials Khoj, Karam chand. And...I could go on forever....Thanks for the nostalgic memories!

5:19 AM  
Blogger Point 5 said...

..this is Balaji, my ex-roomie rght ?

I have had infinite conversations with him on all this issues....he is a killer memory, and not to mention a killer database of all these stuff on his comp.....

If it isn't the same Balaji...then dude u got to meet him for the same

7:15 AM  
Blogger totti said...

Yup..it is the same old balaji..killer memory..he has'nt forgotten a single stuff.

@m - strange feeling nostalgia. It is like a mixture of sweet and sour things :-)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Anarkist said...

Oh man! you just opened a floodgate of nostalgia. My favorite was Space City Sigma!!1! At that time, I thought it was the coolest serial evar. Only later did I realize it was a rip-off from Star Wars. Didn't bother me much though. Also there was Indradhanush, another sci-fi time travel kind of series. Anyone remember that? It was abt some kids who accidentally invent a time machine when they do something to their computer. I dreamt about doing something like that with my Commodore64 (with state-of-the-art 64KB RAM and 5.25" floppy drive!).

Also fond memories of getting up early on Sunday morning to watch Rangoli, Chitrahaar and Doordarshan Samachar (remember Salma Sultan, Rini Khanna, Shammi Narang? Newsreaders on DD. I for some reason still remember their names. I remember Salma Sultan quite vividly, mainly because she used to come with a red rose pinned to her sari and also because of her nasal accent. Her 'hain' used to become 'haa'. It was hilarious!). Anyone remember 'Chaupal'? Two rustic farmers would be talking about cotton weevils or something like that. We used to watch that too, because there was nothing else to watch!

.....the days!

5:18 PM  
Blogger totti said...

@mudit- yeah dude! I had the same feelin when balaji was reaccounting all those serials.I have'nt seen any of your serials you listed. But, i guess pachar has always been technologically more advanced than adilabad!! :p

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counters
Hit Counter